Winterizing your pump and water lines are crucial steps in preserving your property before winter temperatures arrive. When water freezes, it expands by close to 8%, while some materials, like metal found in water pumps, tend to contract making it smaller as winter temperatures drop. This combination can lead to water lines that burst and cause costly repairs to your pumps and lines.
- Remove the motor or anchor the pump to the deepest level for submersible pumps, fountains etc.
- Drain the pump body in above ground pumps such as: jet pumps, pool pumps, and all irrigation systems.
- Use food-grade propylene glycol – Never use ethylene glycol used in automotive radiators.
- If the pump or line cannot be drained completely maintain a small stream of running water.
- Use compressed air to blow out discharge and suction lines.
Any Questions email Pumps of Tennessee or call Toll Free: (800) 877-4172 or Phone: (865) 637-4172